The GeoPlanter is a breathable fabric plant container that air prunes your plants’ roots when they reach the end of the container. The air root pruning process forces the roots to branch out with more fibrous feeder roots which are much more efficient in taking up water and nutrients.
This very durable geotextile fabric is porous, allowing air into the root zone and provides great drainage creating a healthy environment for the roots. This combination of air root pruning and aeration of the root zone allows your plants to reach their fullest potential!
What makes the GeoPlanter different from plastic containers is it’s ability to air prune the roots. For instance, in a plastic pot the roots hit the edge of the container and then they start wrapping around looking for nutrients and water which will cause them to become root bound and lock up. With the GeoPlanter however, you’re going to get a lot of aeration because it’s fabric, meaning it is going to have a lot of breath-ability. Also, when the roots hit the edge of the container, they are going to get naturally pruned, meaning that further back on the root branch wherever there’s going to be moisture another root is going to grow and then further back on that root another one will grow, so you end up having a massive ball of roots that is absorbing much more water and nutrients. This allows you to get higher yields, more vegetables, more fruit and fuller flowers compared to that of a plant growing in a plastic container.
The GeoPlanter is framed with PVC to give you a rigid, framed bed for all of your planting needs. It is UV stabilized for years of use in direct sunlight. All of the seams in the GeoPlanter product line are sewn with a high quality bonded polyester thread that will withstand constant moisture and UV exposure. The GeoPlanter is easy to assemble and is reusable, lasting for 3 years or longer under normal gardening uses. To clean simply use hot water with a little Oxyclean to kill any pathogens, mold, mildews, residues, bugs and critters and then air dry.The GeoPlanters come in sizes:
- 36″ x 16″ x 14″
- 72″ x 16″ x 14″
- 72″ x 36″ x 14″
- 48″ x 48″ x 12″
- 48″ x 96″ x 12″
- 36″ x 36″ x 10″
Steps to put your GeoPlanter together:
- Collect all supplies
- Unwrap your GeoPlanter
- Slide the PVC pipes through the sleeve along the top rail of the GeoPlanter
- Finish sliding the PVC pipes through the sleeve along the top rail of the GeoPlanter
- Attach the 3-way fittings at each corner leaving the open side facing down into the planter
- After the corners are attached, connect the pipe legs to the open side of the 3-way fittings so the legs are inside the GeoPlanter
- Once attached, ensure that all connections are tight
- Place the GeoPlanter on level ground in desired location and fill with soil
- Rake soil to get an even level
- Transplant or plant seeds of your choice in your GeoPlanter and enjoy your harvest!
Original article found over at growingsociety.com.